“32 per cent of all plastic products created on Earth end up in the world’s waterways and oceans. What’s more, the amount of plastic trash on Earth is increasing at an alarming rate. Based on future projections, it is estimated that there will be more pieces of plastic in the world’s ocean than there are fish by 2050”
We are surrounded with plastic made products. Because of its durability, flexibility and versatility, plastics have been the main source of material for manufacturing many essential goods. However, the toxicity of plastic is a problem for both the environment and people.
A study published in the issue of ‘Science Advances’ estimated that the production of the total amount of plastic in the world is approx 8,300 million metric tons. Out of this, only 9% is recycled or reused. 91% is dumped, which ultimately ends up choking landfills and oceans!
Effect of plastic on Human health:
- Plastics contain many chemicals and hazardous substances such as, bisphenol (BPA), phthalates, anti-nitroxide, poly-fluorine which can lead to vision failure, respiratory problems, liver dysfunction, headache, cancer, skin diseases and heart disease.
Effect of plastic on environment:
- Plastics take many years to decompose. The simplest plastics like the types used in grocery stores take less than 50 years to decompose, while the complex types take between 400 years to 600 years to break down.
- Lack of proper disposal of plastic makes it one of the biggest pollutants on land and water bodies.
Benefits of Bamboo:
Bamboo is one of the most popular plastic alternatives we have today. And there are many reasons why the eco-conscious consumer chooses the world’s fastest growing grass over other materials:
- Renewable source: Bamboo is a tree-like grass that is easy to farm and harvest. It is among the fastest-growing plants on earth and does not require any specific chemicals to support its growth.
- Carbon Sink: Bamboo’s ability to absorb CO2 from the atmosphere is about 35% higher than other trees.
- Biodegradable product: Bamboo is 100% biodegradable and can decompose in as less as 6 months.
- Strong & Durable: It’s also known as ‘green steel’ for its versatility and strength and is used for construction.
- Toxic-free: ‘Bamboo Kun’ is the natural antimicrobial bio-agent found in bamboo. This prevents bacteria and microbes from growing on bamboo products, thus, making it the perfect plant for creating naturally hygienic products such as bamboo straws and cutlery, keeping them sterile and fresh.
- Promotes artisans: The manufacturing process of bamboo sustains the traditional industry and creates new well-paying stable jobs for artisans. This booms the social and economic infrastructure of the community.
Bamboo-made products at ONEarth store:
Climate action starts with a shift in the choice of sustainable living. With our organic, biodegradable, bamboo-sourced products, we provide simple solutions to the single-use plastic waste crisis.
Safe disposal of bamboo products:
- Discard it in your bio-waste bin, so that it would be disposed of in an industrial composter, where it will break down in a few weeks.
- If you have a home composter, discard it. It will decompose in a few months to a year.
- Even if you just throw it into your normal bin and the product ends up in landfill, it will still biodegrade in a few years at most.
Create a positive switch with ONEarth today!